Health Insurance and Immunization Requirements

Health Insurance


The health care system in the United States is among the best in the world, but visiting the doctor can be very expensive. The University of Colorado Boulder wants students to be able to study without worrying about health care costs. Therefore, the university requires that all students have a comprehensive health insurance plan during their time at the university. This means that all students at the International English Center must have comprehensive health insurance for the duration of their studies.

All full-time International English Center students must show evidence of comprehensive insurance plan coverage by the first day of orientation. Students who do not show evidence of coverage by the first day of orientation will automatically be enrolled in CU Student Gold Health Insurance.


Question 1: How do I get health insurance?

IEC students have 3 options for obtaining health insurance coverage:

Option 1:
Receive health insurance coverage through a sponsoring agency.
Option 2:
Purchase an individual policy directly from an insurance company.
Option 3:
Purchase CU Student Gold Health Insurance through the IEC.


Option 1        

I am a sponsored student. Do I need to show evidence of health insurance?

Yes, if you are a sponsored student, you must show evidence of health insurance. Please check with your sponsor to confirm your insurance coverage and detailed information.

Please skip to question #2.


Option 2  

I am not a sponsored student. How do I purchase an individual policy directly from an insurance company?

You can explore the insurance offered by the companies listed below:

  • ISOA Student Health Insurance 
    • Plan Name: COMPASS Gold
    • Online Enrollment:
    • Daily Rate for ages 18-24: $1.40/day; daily rate for ages 25 and up: varies depending on age
    • Minimum purchase is 90 days
  • HCC Medical Insurance Services
You can search for more insurance companies on the web by searching international student health insurance.


Option 3        

How do I purchase CU Student Gold Health Insurance?

Students may purchase CU Student Gold Health Insurance through the IEC at a cost of $10.93/day.
The cost is added to the student’s account. More information about the CU Student Gold Health Insurance plan is available at this website:


Question 2: How do I show evidence of insurance?

IEC students must show evidence of health insurance by providing the following 2 items:

  1. The completed and signed Evidence of Health Insurance Form
  2. A copy of the student’s Certificate of Insurance provided by the insurance company or sponsoring agency.

Students must submit the Evidence of Health Insurance Form and a copy of their Certificate of Insurance to the IEC:


Question 3: Who do I contact if I have questions?

Please contact the IEC if you have questions about mandatory comprehensive health insurance:


Campus Care Supplement

The Campus Care Supplement is required for those students who do not choose the CU Gold Health Insurance Plan and who have their own insurance. This allows students access to Wardenburg Health Center services. The cost of Campus Care is included in the student fees. For more information about the benefits of Campus Care, please visit Cost is subject to change without notice.

Campus Care: $90/session


Mandatory Health-Related Student Fees

All students are required to pay the following mandatory health-related fees regardless of insurance coverage:

  • Student Health Center (SHC) Fee: $43/session
  • Mental Health Research Fee: $22/session



Colorado State Law requires all University of Colorado students to submit proof of immunization and Tuberculosis (TB) testing. This is a mandatory requirement for all college students born on or after January 1, 1957.

All International English Center students MUST do the following:

  1. Contact your doctor, high school, university, and/or military, to obtain an official signed or stamped copy of your medical record showing proof of the following immunizations and tests:
Required Immunizations and Testing
  • Measles (two doses)
  • Mumps (two doses)
  • Rubella (MMR; two doses)
  • Tuberculosis (TB) Test
Recommended Immunizations
  • Hepatitis B
  • Meningitis

If you cannot verify your immunizations, you can be tested for immunity and/or re-immunized with a blood test at Wardenburg Health Center after you arrive.

Medical, religious, and personal exemptions are allowed by law.

  1. Complete the Meningococcal and Tuberculosis Questionnaire
  1. Submit your medical record and the completed Meningococcal and Tuberculosis Questionnaire to Wardenburg Health Center. All forms must be submitted before entering the United States.

Forms may be submitted in one of the following ways:

Email: Scan and email your records to


University of Colorado Boulder

Wardenburg Health Center
Patient Services
119 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309

Fax: +1 303-492-1014


More Information

For more information about health insurance, please email
For more information about immunization requirements, please email